Friday, March 8, 2019

To a Tourist



You've been thinking of visiting our continent? You're coming to Canada, our northern home and native land? The province of Ontario, you say? Waterloo County? Thirteenfiftyapplegroveroad, along the back lane? In the WINTER??!!

Oh, please do.

All the stuff they say about winter's intensity, unpredictability, and longevity is true. All the snowing, blowing, freezing, thawing, drifting, skidding, ditching, crunching, slushing and mudding that you've heard about really does happen here.


People actually do put up with negatives in winter life that range from trifling inconveniences to considerable dangers. They pull on extra sweaters or huddle under blankets in the living room of a furnaced house, scrape ice off their car's windshield, peer out from under frosty eyebrows to watch their breath puff into mini clouds and disappear, cancel church services, drive stretches of road blind in complete whiteouts, repair burst water pipes, and dig out their porches and vehicles after yet another blizzard.

Don't you just want to pack your bags and head for here now?


What you may not have heard, though, is how versatile our winter is; how wondrous and beauteous it makes things around here. The Maker of the ice and snow labels His creation "treasures", with good reason.

Let me illustrate:



In the slate greys and blues of a winter afternoon's landscape, you can stand and make tall, skinny shadows a long way across the snow-dappled lawn.


After a thaw-and-freeze, you can go for a walk to the bush and break through the top crust of the snow with every step. It's such a crunchy, down-to-earth experience.




After an ice storm, a stroll through the orchard is a dazzling exploration. 





The sun gleaming on the icy expanse seems to turn the back yard into a frozen pond. and makes you want to don skates and go for a spin. 





Meanwhile, some fascinating icicle craft is taking shape.




You can (not me, but if you're a skillful sculptor) carve something marvelous into the snow or ice and have other people come look at it to ooh and aah over the creation.


Or to come look at it to laugh aloud, and then to smile again when they think back on it in days to come.

                      

You can stay inside the house on Snow Days - or Snow Events, as they are sometimes called, making them sound So Important - and not go out at all while it is blizzarding so hard and fast you can't even see the orchard trees, let alone the bush trees beyond them, when you look out the windows to the south. The only time you open the front door that day is when you want to see how much and how amazing is the blizzartistry on the porch.


You can watch people who are fishing in the river ice with their buddies and making beautiful patterns in the snow as they walk from one hole to another.


For these experiences, you don't need to make reservations online ahead of time, you don't need to wait hours in line for your turn, and you don't have to jostle a crowd to see and participate once you do reach the spot of interest. Oh, and did I mention they're free?

For these experiences, there aren't any restrictions, precautions or guidelines to heap on you, either. The only advice you might consider is "Take care that you don't get bowled over by all the beauty out there!"


                                                                                       (Photo Credit: Kerra Martin)
On another note:
Winter also makes a pretty great background for engagement photos, as this couple found out this past weekend. (Yes, our daughter Kayleen got engaged to Carlin Atkinson on March 1, so there's a lot of excitement and wedding talk going on around here. A November wedding is in the works.)

This Post's Quotable:

On a very-Canadian weekend in Ottawa recently, our family skated on the Rideau Canal and ate beavertails, fried dough pastries that are shaped to resemble a beaver's tail, because those two activities are just what you do when you're in Ottawa in the winter. One time that weekend our son overheard somebody "verbalizing" the beavertail: "Are we beavertailing now or later?"

This Post's Childhood Memory:

I used to love building snow forts with my siblings, cousins, or schoolmates. I remember sawing blocks or slabs of snow from the packed top layer of drifts in our field, and fashioning fort walls by stacking these blocks alternately, brick-style. Another method of building forts was to select snow chunks from the snow piles pushed up by the snow plow in our lane at home or in the driveway at school. What an accomplishment to raise a whole little "house" by stacking snow chunks in walls sometimes higher than our heads! To be in that fort made by our own mittened hands gave such a cozy, contented feeling in spite of the cold.


11 comments:

  1. Thanx for the journey through your beautiful Countryside. Enjoyed the pictures of a few special people! Congratulations on the engagement. Happy preparing time for the big wedding day. Love you all. Aunt Ida Mae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so nice! I mean just everything about this post! Especially the engagement - makes me lonesome, she looks so much like you! I love it!
    So glad I found you, even in my cyber blundering! Auntie Mar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was special to see comments from two of my aunts one right after the other! Love and miss you, too.

      Delete
  3. I'm really enjoying your new blog, Danette! I always love how you make little things special by the way you tell them, and this post was such an example of that. Your pleasure in little things always brightens my day!
    Also, congratulations on Kayleen's engagement! I was so excited when I heard from her the other day - I couldn't stop smiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sweet to hear from you, Chelsea! I love finding out about impressions readers have when they read my blog. It makes me feel more connected to my audience. So, thanks! And yes, you're right - it IS quite exciting to walk this journey with Kayleen in wedding prep.😊

      Delete
  4. I love how we were raised to enjoy the beauty in every small detail. To find the joy in sometimes the most adverse conditions. I find as I get older that I don't enjoy the cold so much(to get out and play or walk in it). But I think it's because I don't have a dog to a walk or my grandchildren playing in it with me. In spite of those excuses, I do love the beauty of winter - the ice and the snow and how the cold affects said beauty. And I love watching our Creator God paint His Life into every day and season. Congratulations on the engagement. Always good to catch up with you and your family and all the goings on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cousin! I like updates of your family and its goings-on, as well. I watch grandmas such as you to get good ideas for grandmothering when my turn comes. (seven weeks or so to wait, yet!)

      Delete
  5. Karen Bean de la RosaMarch 22, 2019 at 8:44 AM

    Congratulations to Kayleen! What exciting news!

    I like how you creatively capture winter's beauty, Danette. I fondly remember the cozy feeling of being storm-stayed with family in a warm house, but I can't say I miss the howling/blowing/biting/COLD of being out in a winter storm. For now, I'll enjoy winter's beauty from the tropics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Yeah, I can see why you choose to enjoy winter's beauty from afar, when you live in the lovely tropical spot that you do. Do you ever miss the four seasons as distinct as we experience them here?

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete