Sunday, May 12, 2019

For You, Mom



Since today is Mother’s Day and since it is also close to the anniversary date of my first mom’s Homegoing, I will dedicate this post to the memory of Mom-Eva. She passed away from cancer twenty-four years ago this month. I’ve been thinking a lot about her these days.


Much of this post consists of photos that I took recently of things that make me think of her. I shot a number of these pics when I went on a walk in the woods this week. The names and features of the flowers and birds in the photos I learned from Mom when I was a child. Mom would have enjoyed going on that walk with me, and I would have loved to have her along. I miss you, Mom-Eva!



















This Post’s Quotables:

Here are a few expressions and exclamations that come to mind when I recall Mom-Eva quotes.
        “All good things take time” (said especially in regards to us children dating and her not wanting us to be in too much of a hurry to get married)
        “La, ti, do!” or “This day do I remember my faults.” (scolding herself when she pulled a blooper)
        “Let’s pray about it.”
     “We all have to fight our own lazies.”
       “Step up and help with the dishes.” (someone who could "see work" - a character quality highly praised by Mom - wouldn’t need to be told this)


This Post’s Childhood Memory:

While Mom-Eva was ambitious and no-nonsense in so many ways - to a fault, at times - she allowed for leisure and fun, too. It still rather surprises me that she allowed my twin and me to play with her hair once in a while. She would sit and read a book by the light of the living room lamp, and we were allowed to unpin her covering, undo her little hair bun by pulling out the hairpins and un-tucking the brown holey hairnet, remove several bobby pins that were holding her two front hair “swoops” in place on either side of the “part” down the middle of head, and brush out the short and rather thin locks. I still remember the oily, shampoo-ey smell of her hair. Sometimes, we’d re-comb her hair and try to put it up again exactly like Mom did, and sometimes we were silly and put our own colorful barrettes at odd places in her hair or made funny little braids haphazardly over her head. She’d smile indulgently when we’d stand back and giggle at the effects. I wonder if she was conscious then of the connection she was building with us in those moments.

In what ways did your Mom connect with you when you were a child?




6 comments:

  1. That burgundy trillium is sooo pretty!
    And I love the hair story.
    I came on the scene just as your mom had cancer already. (I think.)
    I always felt like I missed out when people told Eva stories. 24 years sounds like such a long time. I’m sure it feels like that in some ways and not in others. Love to you as you remember.❤️-Luci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Luci. You are exactly right that in some ways 24 years seems long and in some ways it seems short. Grieving is such a unique work. <3

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany. Do you ever wonder if our moms visit each other in a world beyond ours?

      Delete
  3. Oh Danette, I miss her too, but of course you more so. I want to talk with her and ask her opinion. A few tears with this posting. And the spring flower pictures remind me of my mom, Eva's sister. Mom says she misses the Wisconsin spring flowers. Such lovely memories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome, Arla! It pleases me to know that the post reminded you of your mom, too. Aunt Ruth has always been one of my very favorite aunts.

      Delete