Saturday, August 3, 2019

Her Gifted Hands




To all of my sisters at church (and elsewhere) who feel that you aren’t talented enough, or productive enough, or something enough, I wrote these lines of poetry with you in mind:

With her
long and slender
  graceful
    smooth and pale
      immaculate
        manicured
hands
that have
gripped a pen
wielded a paintbrush
danced over piano keys
typed on a computer keyboard
handled a Sunday School book
cradled a choir binder,
designed a craft
arranged a bouquet…

With her
sturdy
calloused
stained
creased
weathered
work-worn
reddened
hands
that have
milked cows
podded peas and snapped beans
shaped bread dough into loaves
scrubbed a toilet
pulled thistles
repaired appliances
wrestled ornery creatures
varnished woodwork…

My sister

has been to me

the creative hands

of Jesus.








This Post’s Quotable:


One mom’s way of describing her adventure-loving, risk-taking son: “He keeps my prayers fresh.”


This Post’s Childhood Memory:

When we lived in Northwoods Beach, one of our fascinating neighbors was a German lady whom we called Mrs. Sperling. I remember going to her house for tea. She peered at us children through her coke-bottle glasses while she spoke to my mom in a strong, heavily-German-accented voice. I got the impression that, had she been a school teacher, she would’ve been of the very strictest sort. Once, she described a special German dish to Mom, and she kept referring to letting the milk get “sick” in the making of it. Later Mom explained to me that Mrs. Sperling meant allowing the milk to get thick, instead of sick. I figured that if one added curdled milk to a food, it would certainly be “sick”, as well as thick!



7 comments:

  1. Oh, Danette!!!! Thank you!!! This is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Aimee. It's always encouraging to realize that what I wrote meant something to a reader. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this... it captures so well the beauty and love that I see in the women around me. You have been the creative, kind, and thoughtful hands of Jesus in my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely short and sweet read:) It reminds me of what my 89 year old grandma always says from her sewing machine perch. "Every stitch is the Lord's!"
      Your blogs are always a day brightened. Keep writing: )!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jas, for such kind words. You truly are an inspiration to me, too!

      Delete
    3. Dear Unknown, thanks for your kind words, too. Feel free to make yourself Known to me. :)

      Delete
    4. Yes it's Rosella. The unknown part was an accident;)

      Delete