Saturday, June 20, 2020

Reaching the Speed Limit


Call it the Speed Limit Birthday or the Double Nickel Birthday, it happened to me last week. Yes, I turned 55 on "a sunny day in June" which, I am told, is also the description for the day I arrived twenty-some minutes after my twin sister all those years ago.

This year, my birthday had an unprecedented feature (unprecedented - why did I use that tired word?), falling as it did during what we hope is the latter days of COVID-19. This is the first time I've had a birthday during a worldwide pandemic. (Try that phrase on for redundundancy) I really
think that made a difference in the celebration.

                         Photo Cred: Ken Martin

For one thing, it made our family's being able to gather seem more precious. Sadly, not all of the Kenites could be present for our Sunday lunch on the patio and afternoon of games and conversation since Joy, the nurse in the family, was on a work shift, and since the US-Can border closure prevented Carlin & Kayleen from joining us. But it was lovely to be far enough out of lockdown and into Phase Two of Reopening to be legal in our congregating. In Ontario the regulation has advanced to allowing people to meet in groups of 10 or less. And there's something about creating a bubble of people inside which we do not have to continue the physical or social distancing practice. Yay, bring on the holding the grandson once again!





Ken and Kerra planned an excellent birthday lunch of burgers and salads. The meal ended with two birthday cakes! I'm sure it was more because of the desire for cake AND ice cream (one was an ice cream cake) than one for each 5 in my age. We played Bocce on the lawn in the afternoon and watched Seth motor around the vast grassy area in his unique scoot-crawl maneuver. Next thing you know, we thought, he'll be toddling over the lawn instead of crawling. And sure enough, he DID start walking on his own a few days later.



Another thing that made my birthday-during-pandemic different than usual was that I received multiples of things. Such as parties and surprises. Phone calls and messages. Flowers and cakes. Instead of describing each in detail, I will post a few pics that I took to document some of the multiples, and you may ask me about anything you'd like to know more about.







                             Photo Cred: Kerra Martin


Lastly, I think more people than usual remembered my birthday since it happened during COVID. Do people have more time in general, giving them extra mental and heart space to think of others? Are people more intentional to do their part to counter loneliness during this time? I don't know all the reasons behind it, but I do know that I soaked it up.



I felt so blessed and affirmed and rich.

Fifty-five. If you go by what used to be the miles-per-hour speed limit on the main roads in Wisconsin when I was growing up, I've reached the speed limit in age. It would be nice to think that now life will slow down, having reached its limit in speed, and I can sort of coast from here on out. I'm guessing, though, my own energy and intellect will be what seems limited at times. I know this will call for even greater dependence on the Limitless One.

Recently my daughter Kerra asked me what makes me most excited about being 55, and my answer was "learning more about who God is and experiencing more of the richness of being His daughter." I have a feeling that making these discoveries will keep me occupied for a lifetime because my Father's love has no limit. 
















4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! So glad that you could celebrate with your family! You have a cute little grandson. There's nothing quite like enjoying your grandchildren!I enjoyed seeing all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alma! I'm sure your grandchildren are special, too. How many do you have?

      Delete
    2. We have 1 granddaughter and 4 grandsons. Each one is equally special and loved and interesting!

      Delete
    3. We have 1 granddaughter and 4 grandsons. Each one is equally special and loved and interesting!

      Delete