Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Answering Multiple Questions (The Long and the Short of It)


For those of you who haven’t heard how things are multiplying around here, I’m here to tell you. Perhaps you could approach the following exchange as the interview you didn’t know you wanted to have.

For those of you who have already heard the news, and have been itching to ask more questions, I am here to answer. Perhaps this post will be the interview you’ve definitely been wanting to have and didn’t know exactly how to go about it.

For those of you who know how wordy I can be when answering questions, and for that reason have been avoiding even asking them, I am here to reassure you. Perhaps this series, with its options for both long and short answers, will be the interview you’ve been wanting to be able to handle.  


What's new in your family life? 

Short: We're expecting!

Long: We're expecting FIVE grandbabies - from only two families of the Kenites Tribe! Our son Rolin and his wife Joy are expecting triplets and our daughter Kayleen and her husband Carlin are looking forward to having twins. 

When are these grandchildren due?

Short: Next year. 

Long: Next year, and within the first four months of 2023, the Lord willing. Joy's due date is March 1, and Kayleen's twins are expected about 5 weeks later, in April. However, the more babies sharing the womb, the less chance they will be carried to full term. (Not only is it the more, the merrier; it is the more, the earlier, I guess) The typical gestation period for twins is 36-37 weeks, and for triplets the average is only 33 weeks.

How did the parents-to-be announce the news to you?

Short: Ultrasound pics.

Long: Ultrasound pics on our family's WhatsApp chat. For the triplets, Rolin and Joy messaged their news to the Kenites on the day that Joy’s ultrasound appointment revealed three babies. The first post was simply a photo, an ultrasound image of a single baby. Five minutes later, a second ultrasound pic arrived on the chat, this time along with a “Baby B” title on the print. In answer to the resulting curious responses from our family, Joy confirmed that, yes, that first pic sent was Baby A, so there were indeed two babies. Incredible! But then, five minutes later, we received the third ultrasound pic, titled “Baby C”, along with the caption “Rolin says we hit a triple”. Incredulosity x three!!! Several months later we received the welcome news that Kayleen and Carlin were expecting a baby, too – their first. When she had an ultrasound a couple of weeks following that announcement, Kayleen posted a single photo on our family’s WhatsApp chat. It was an ultrasound pic with Baby A and Baby B on it. Definitely double take material!!

How did you feel when you heard the news?

Short: Delighted.

Long: Delighted and overwhelmed. The triplets announcement was a lot to take in all at once, even if the news came in 5-minute intervals. My emotions rollercoasted through whoops, tears, and laughter. Then came the thought of many changes this would mean for Rolins – they’d have to get a bigger vehicle, a larger dwelling, a greater stash of baby equipment, a longer list of helpers... On the heels of that came the worry about the possible complications with carrying and birthing multiples. But oh, how exciting to think of getting three new grandchildren at once! I couldn’t get done smiling. Then Kayleen and Carlin sent us the pic of their unborn twins and my first impression was disbelief. I thought they must have somehow rigged the ultrasound photo with the appearance of two titles. Now I think “How could I?” but right then it was like, “How can this be happening in one family?” (Sorry, Carlins) After it finally sank in that for real there were twins coming, too, I couldn’t keep my heart from overflowing in the form of happy tears. Because I am a twin, I have long been fascinated with all things twin. Because I have had/keep having such a positive experience being a twin, I have long dreamed of either having twins myself (Ken could tell you his relief that we didn’t) or being closely related to someone having them. And now, my own daughter expecting twins…well, that was just a bit much – in a good way. My laughter may or may not have had some Sarah-echoes behind my tent flap.

Do you know the genders of the babies?

Short: Yes and no.

Long: Yes to the triplets and no to the twins. Rolin and Joy are having one girl and two boys. Kayleen and Carlin know that their twins are identical, (so, same gender) but they don’t know yet if they’re having two boys or two girls. They may decide to continue anticipating the surprise by waiting until the birth to find out. 

Have you been learning anything new about expecting multiples?

Short: Yes.

Long: Yes, more than I ever wanted to know about the risky business. I have learned that a mom carrying three babies might require a surgery called cerclage, which is a fancy name (especially said in a Parisian manner, like sir-clahzh) for a drawstring-type stitch that helps strengthen a weakening cervix. Ideally, this will allow the babies to stay safely inside for longer than they might otherwise do. I have learned that identical twins have different ways of being arranged in utero, and if they are something called mono/di, it means they are a lot more susceptible to a disease of the placenta called Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome, or TTTS for short. I have learned that TTTS can develop very quickly – in the space of a mere week or two. When that happens, one twin gets too much blood and the other twin doesn’t get enough, which can end up being life-threatening to both babies. I have learned about a laser surgery, nicknamed the Solomon Procedure, which can be performed to seal off the blood vessels on the surface of the shared placenta that are responsible for TTTS. Ideally, this treatment, if successful, will allow the twins to each get their own healthy dose of nutrients via the blood. I have learned that hearing about such hopeful possibilities for both babies to thrive after all can bring untold relief and gratitude to family members.

What has God been teaching you so far through this experience? 

Short: Trust

Long: Trust in the Maker and Sustainer of Life. I said at the beginning, just after finding out about the triplets, that I am holding this gift of coming grandchildren with an open hand. I wish to maintain such an attitude even while acknowledging that there is no guarantee these five tiny babies will all arrive safely and without any challenges. I’m finding, though, that the open hand concept is getting harder to implement with these growing grandbabies, the more time I have to anticipate and dream of all the grandma things I want to do with them and ways I want to be for them. Recently I found a keeper quote by Gina Brenna Butz, who expressed it well when she wrote, “God asks us to loosen our grip on life and in the process our hearts will open to something new. He invites us to…bring an attitude of hope, presenting our requests while trusting Him with the outcome. We put our hope not in the end result, but in God.” Yes, as I continue looking forward to meeting five new grandbabies in the coming months, God invites me to lean more often and more confidently on Him.

13 comments:

  1. Danette!! I can't even picture the mix of emotions you're going through. How thrilling and overwhelming. So many blessings and much grace to your family. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Luci. Your wishes for our family means a lot. <3

      Delete
  2. My immediate first thought, after deciding to check my e-mail once more before going off line this evening. "Wow, oh Wow" Then "incredible"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it is special to have the long-time friend and blog reader combination that I have in you!

      Delete
  3. I'm excited for you, Danette, because you and Annette have always enjoyed being twins so much. Now you get to enjoy another double/triple dose. So amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Arla,BTW.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, cousin! (and thanks for identifying yourself :) )

      Delete
  4. Wow. That is incredible!! Congratulations and may God be near all of you with His peace in the midst of the twists and turns in this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I'm showing up as anonymous, but this is Bethany Eicher 🙂

      Delete
    2. Not sure why the anonymous thing happens, but thanks for signing your name. It's always nice to know for sure who I'm "talking" to. :) Thanks for the congrats, and for the blessing of God's peace in the "twists and turns in this story"...we need it!

      Delete
  5. So excited for you and I am sure you and Annette have been doing a lot of reminiscing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth Swartzendruber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! Good to hear from you. <3 Yes, Annette and I are having fun sharing this aspect of our twinny journey.

      Delete